Doll Quilt

One of the ladies who first got me into quilting is a very big-hearted person named Bree. Bree has undertaken a massive and generous project called Quilt For the Kids where she’s promised a quilt a week for her local children’s hospital. Please check out her blog for more information.

I got a new needle and more pink thread and I was able to get my quilt finished! I had a bunch of 1.5 inch scraps, too small for binding, and a need to practice free-motion quilting, so I decided to put them together and make a quilt for Violet. My toddler is always tucking her in and putting her to sleep, so I figured this way she wouldn’t have to use her own blankie.

I laid it out first and took a picture so that I could finish it whenever I had a moment and not need to leave the scraps laid out in that position. More than one ended up in a baby’s mouth.

Photobucket

It’s quite long laid out like that, but 1.5 inch wide strips and a 1/4 inch seam allowance, it shrinks up a lot when sewn together.

Photobucket

The back is just scraps leftover from another project pieced together.

Photobucket

For the binding, I trimmed the front and the batting to the finished dimensions and trimmed the back to 3/4 inch around that. I folded 1/4 of the back over and pressed it, then zig-zag stitched it to the front.

It’s a little crooked and a little puckered, but I was able to fix the tension issues I’d been having (not threading the machine properly) and get some experience with free-motion quilting before I tackled my next, much larger project.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s